The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO)
The Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Amman (POLO-Amman) is responsible for all concerns related to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). As an integral part of the Embassy, the mandate of POLO-Amman includes:
- ensuring adequate protection for Filipino workers through verification of employment documents and job orders to ascertain that terms and conditions of employment and employer qualifications are within the standards set by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE);
- providing on-site assistance to OFWs with labor and welfare cases;
- implementing existing overseas employment policies of the DOLE and making policy recommendations to meet the needs of OFWs within its jurisdiction;
- identifying opportunities and creating access for other labor sectors by conducting labor market research within its jurisdiction; and
- promoting the general welfare of OFWs through socio-cultural activities and training programs that will facilitate their re-integration into Philippine society upon completion of their work contracts abroad.
POLO-Amman is temporarily headed by Mr. Rosauro D.R. Octaviano who acts as its Officer-in-Charge in addition to his duties as OWWA's Welfare Officer. He is supported by a staff composed of people detailed from the Department of Labor and Employment and locally-hired employees.
While POLO-Amman operates as the DOLE attached agency of the Embassy, it falls under the administrative supervision of the Chief of Mission in line with the "one country team" principle. To embody this principle, the Embassy's Assistance-to-Nationals Section and POLO-Amman officers and staff work hand in hand as the Amman PE Case Management Team (Amman PE CMT) to provide an integrated, cross-functional, case management approach in handling cases involving OFWs.